Sunday, March 11, 2007

Our P Team (RP Team!)

Mighty bit too late but I have to start somewhere and I see nothing better than this one.

I don't know about other Filipinos but I admit I still have high hopes for RP basketball. Now that the FIBA suspension has been lifted (see how politics tend to improve everything it touches), it is time we start working to get that Olympic slot and make good on that 'Astig' motto.

Remember the 1996 Centenial team back then. I thought we had a formidable line-up capable of at least going to the Asian Games finals. But then the fates intervened. On a tune-up against the visiting Qataris (look how they fared in the recent Asian Games held in their own turf), Danny 'high-flying' Seigle landed badly and had a serious ankle sprain. But it didn't end there because in the semis, a prayer of a three by the dreaded Koreans, virtually sank the entire nation on its knees and left us out of gold medal contention. Anyway, I guess we still do have the skills to mix it up even if without the height.

So, do we have the best players on our new team? I think we have a crack team skills-wise but I would sleep better if these players would be able to play and jell as a team should in time for the Olympic qualifying in Japan. Do I hear doubters and naysayers? So what does Coach Chot Reyes has to say:

“We wanted to make sure that the team we picked is the best team, not necessarily the best players or the best talents, because in the end, the only way we’re going to win is if we have superior teamwork and if we have a lot of players willing to sacrifice their individual goals and interests for the good of the team.”

Is he a genius or what (score points for PR though)?! Read more about the entire line-up here .

Last question: I had to do a double take but did I miss James Yap's name on the list?! I admit I haven't seen how he played the last conference but wasn't he just the previous year's MVP? Uhhm, does his recent troubles with the missus have anything to do with this? I just HOPE everything turns out fine for them especially with their baby expected this April.

Go, Philippines!

No comments: